Sunday, September 27, 2009

Response to 'A Letter to Manteca Citizens from Manteca Police Officers Association

I am hoping that today is the last day of Summer for us. It has been too hot and I'm ready for the Fall and Winter weather. That said, today's Manteca Bulletin printed an open letter from the Manteca Police Officers Association to all citizens of Manteca.

http://www.mantecabulletin.com/news/article/7431/

I decided to respond to this letter by commenting on it in the Manteca Bulletin. Why? Because this letter appears to be a letter inviting anyone who will listen to take the side of the MPOA in their personal fight against the City Manager, Steve Pinkerton, and the current city council.

Why do I say a personal fight? Because that is exactly what it is. A personal fight. There are two sides here and what the public is not aware of is the fact that this association spent money and endorsed the candidates several times over who in turn hired the current city manager. That's putting it simple. Now they cry foul? And want you and me to join in?

Why now do we have to get involved with this cat fight all in the name of public safety? In this letter we are being reminded that we have a gang problem, the State is considering (and they will do it) letting out violent offenders because of budget problems and Manteca is going to get hit. We might as well be told that a meteorite is on the path directly towards earth and it's going to have a direct impact on Manteca. We are ground zero.

While I am for police and fire, and for the safety of our city and the protection of our citizens and for true candidates that would do the job, this association needs to clean house. They endorsed these candidates and incumbents and now they are paying the price and appealing to our feelings disguised as common sense. What I don't like about this letter is they do not appeal to us about their past deeds.

Let me put it to you this way. They are basically asking you (us)(Manteca citizens) to join their association. What do most people do when they decide to join a club or organization? They do their due diligence and investigate the group before they make a decision to be a part of that association. Right? Well, that's how it goes for the most of us. We take a look before we make a move.

We're being asked to voice our opinion, contact city hall, speak in open forum to the council and tell them like it is. For what? And I say this, while I commented online, I was told to not make this political or mention candidates. Why not? This is a political letter and a political situation. The Manteca police officers association has made it so. They have been involved in politics telling us who we should vote for in all the elections since their inception. Why now should I shut up? It sounds like a political union boss telling me what to do. Could it be that is why they are in a cat fight with the city manager?

It appears that both sides are no longer listening and now the MPOA is attempting to recruit citizens on their side explaining just one side of the issue.

While I support our police and chief, I will not support an organization association that has control of it's officers, tells them who they should vote for, tells me who I should vote for, tells their officers to live with it and then informs me I too should shut up and go along with their open letter and not make it political.

I think the MPOA needs to do some reorganization of their own and clean house and stop endorsing candidates if they want to appeal to the citizens of Manteca and get their support. There are hungry children on the streets with mothers who are homeless that need food and warm blankets and shelter tonight. Spend it on them instead of candidates who really don't give a shit about you or I and then turn their backs on you.

You (MPOA) have put yourselves in this position and don't expect a bail-out from the public, we've already been raped by Washington and Sacramento, we don't need another screwing without a thank you.

No comments: